Museum History

The foundations for the Urweltmuseum Hauff were laid by Bernhard Hauff sen. with his first fossil finds, which he prepared for his collection before the turn of the century. The first Museum Hauff thus came into being in 1936/37 from his private collection.
With the construction of the current museum from 1967 to 1971 and its extension in 1993, around 1,000 square metres of exhibition space are now available. Germany’s largest private natural history museum houses the best preserved and the most spectacular finds to be discovered over the last 150 years in Holzmaden, Ohmden and the surrounding area. The most impressive individual exhibit is the world’s largest colony of sea lilies, measuring over 100 square metres. Together with his wife Ute, Rolf Bernhard Hauff is now director of the museum in the third generation.